Urogynecologic conditions cause a significant burden to your life if left untreated. Some such as UTIs cause infection of the urinary system such as the bladder, kidneys, ureter, and urethra. Are you tired of the pain and discomfort of these conditions? Worry no more, get a comprehensive evaluation of your condition and effective treatment with a Bedford Park urogynecologist, and regain back your self-esteem and confidence.
Outlined below are how the various urogynecologic conditions are treated.
Menopause treatment focuses on relieving your symptoms and preventing any chronic conditions that may accompany aging. The treatment options include:
- Hormone therapy- Estrogen therapy helps to relieve menopausal hot flashes.
- Vaginal estrogen- Estrogen is administered to the vagina using a vaginal cream, tablet, or ring to ease vaginal dryness and discomfort during intercourse.
- Low-dose antidepressants- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors decrease hot flashes from menopause.
- Clonidine- It is used to treat blood pressure and relieve hot flashes.
- Osteoporosis medication- Help to reduce bone loss, fractures, and strengthen bones.
Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)
The treatment options for UTI include:
- Drink plenty of water- To help dilute the urine and flush out urine.
- Use heating pads- Apply warm pads to relieve pressure and discomfort.
- Antibiotics- Fluoroquinolones and analgesics help to ease burning sensation during urination.
Pelvic Organ Prolapses
The treatment options for this condition depend on your age, the symptoms and prolapse severity, your health, and when you want to have children in the future. Pelvic organ prolapses are treated as follows:
- Lifestyle changes- Losing weight if you are overweight, eating a high fiber diet to avoid constipation, and avoiding heavy lifting objects help relieve pain and prevent symptoms from getting worse.
- Pelvic floor exercises- Kegel exercises help to strengthen your pelvic floor muscles and relieve pain.
- Hormone treatment- Treatment with estrogen helps to ease vaginal dryness and sexual intercourse discomfort.
- Vaginal pessaries- Help to support vaginal walls and pelvic organs.
- Minimally invasive surgery- Help to relieve vaginal wall pressure and reduce chances of a prolapse returning.
Abnormal bleeding is caused by stress factors and conditions such as endometriosis. It is treated by birth control devices and pills, endometrial ablation, dilation, and curettage to help relieve the abnormal bleeding.
The treatment depends on the type of incontinence, severity, and underlying cause as follows:
- Behavioral technique- Bladder training, double voiding, scheduled toilet trips, fluid and diet management help regain control of your bladder.
- Medications- Alpha-blockers and topical estrogen help to relax the bladder and rejuvenate urethra tissues.
- Electrical stimulation- Stimulates and strengthens pelvic floor muscles.
- Medical devices- Pessary and urethra insert to support the urethra to prevent urine leakage.
- Interventional therapies- Botox, nerve stimulators, and bulking material injections help to treat overactive bladder.
Blood in the urine is treated with antibiotics to clear UTI and shock wave therapy to break up bladder and kidney stones.
Talk to Your Urogynecologist Today
Most females feel embarrassed about these conditions. Getting early treatment thus helps to get rid of the discomfort once and for all. Book an appointment today at Chicago Center for Women’s Health in Illinois and regain your confidence and pain-free sexual intercourse.