Hair transplant is the latest craze not just for middle aged or old aged people but also for teenagers who have permanently lost their hair due to external trauma or injury. It is not only popular among those that have lost their hair to untimely fall but even for them who want to change their hairlines or acquire a beautiful mane. This process is a costly treatment plan. However, the cost of hair transplant in India is comparatively lesser while the success rate remains high. But are hair transplants really safe and successful? Is it an enduring process or does this procedure end in unwarranted tissue changes in body? You might have several question regarding this treatment as you are relying on this & putting your hard earned money into this. So you must know what you are opting for & a few facts about this surgery.
Steps for hair transplant
It is an operation that involves removal of hair follicles from any site within the body like back of head, face or legs and planting them on the hairless portion. This process is additionally utilized in transplanting hair in lashes and brows. The newest techniques are permanent and that they use follicular clusters of hair. This process is named Follicular Hair Transplantation (FUT) while the other method is known as follicular unit extraction (FUE).
In strip harvesting (FUT), skin strips with good hair growth are planted on balding areas and in follicular unit extraction (FUE) hair clusters with their roots are manually removed and planted at the hairless site.
Strip harvesting is what the surgeons are mostly adopting nowadays. It leaves a slim scar at the donor site and promises recovery within fortnight. FUE which is a manual and time taking process, are often done in one or several settings to give very natural results without leaving any marks. However, it’s a time consuming both for the doctor and therefore the patient. However use of robotics has reduced the time during this process and simplified it immensely.
Here are the steps:
1. Preparation for the hair transplant
In the initial step of the Hair Transplant Surgery, hair follicles from the rear of the top are removed and relocated to the balding areas.
2. Donor area trimmed
Before the surgery is started, the hair within the donor area are trimmed.
3. Donor area prepared for surgery
Once the hair within the donor area are trimmed its given local anesthesia.
4. Tissue removing.
In case of FUT the tissue within the donor area that contains the bald resistant hair follicles is then removed surgically and therefore the donor area is sutured. In case of FUE a pen like machine is used to extract the follicles without removing any tissue from scalp.
5. Combed hair over sutured donor area
In case of FUT the sutures within the donor area are covered with hair that are combed over them. These sutures are removed almost ten to twelve days after the hair transplant surgery. In case of FUE no suture is required.
6. Donor tissue trimmed into follicular unit grafts
In case of FUT microscopes are then employed by the surgical technicians to look at the donor tissue for dissecting and preparing follicular units hair grafts. Incase of FUT this step is not required as there is no tissue removed.
7. Bald recipient area prepared
Once the local anaesthesia is given to the patient, the balding recipient area is ready for the operation No trimming/removal of hair is required at the recipient area.
8. Incisions made within the balding areas
Follicular Unit Grafts are placed within the tiny incisions that are made in an irregular pattern within the recipient area.
9. Grafts placed consistent with their densities
The smallest grafts (one and two) are placed ahead of the hairline and three and 4 (denser than one and two) are placed behind.
10. Immediately after the Hair Transplant Surgery
After the hair transplant surgery, tiny incisions with short hair would be visible on the recipient area of the head.
11. Closing of the Hair Transplant Surgery
The incision marks heal naturally and therefore the redness within the recipient area vanishes itself within 10-15 days.
Hair transplant is basically a non invasive procedure and is on several occasions done on an outpatient basis. Mostly patients are allowed to shampoo after two three days although the scalp must be shielded from sun
and infections for a short time after the surgery. The patients is usually placed on antibiotics for a couple of days.
Must know facts about hair transplant:
- The transplanted hair behaves like natural hair and usually sheds between two to four weeks of transplant which is completely normal. The roots will remain intact & will start sprouting hair naturally and will do so for a lifetime.
- Use of local anaesthesia makes it an easy procedure and therefore the patient can sent back to home on the same day.
- Hair transplant is different from non-surgical hair restoration during which a pre-chosen base is fixed on scalp with dexterity.
- Every case of baldness doesn’t have an answer in hair transplantation. It entirely depends on case to case basis.
- The cost of the procedure depends on the amount of grafts. The more the amount of grafts, the upper the value.