The entrance region of the stomach has a valve-like structure that resembles the shape of a ring. It is known as the Lower Esophageal Sphincter (LES). Its function is to close as soon as food passes through the esophagus. If it does not close or open accordingly, then it might result in the acid build-up moving upwards and towards the esophagus. This condition is known as acid reflux.
Do you sense heartburn, or discomfort in your heart? If yes, then it is time to look for a Gastroenterologist. Ven Kottapalli, MD, CNSP, is the best gastroenterologist in Lima working for GI Physicians Inc. They are well versed in handling all kinds of gastroenterology problems and can offer the best solutions for all your problems.
Causes of Acid Reflux Disease
Here are some of the causes of acid reflux disease:
- Hiatal hernia
- Lying down after large meals
- Taking ibuprofen, aspirin, blood pressure medications, or muscle relaxers
- Being obese or overweight
- Smoking, drinking alcohol, coffee, tea, carbonated drinks, etc.
- Nighttime snacking
- Eating food items that are rich in citrus, chocolate, tomato, onion, garlic, mint, fat, or spicy contents
Symptoms of Acid Reflux
The common symptoms of acid reflux include:
- A sense of bitterness in your mouth
- Sore throat
- Trouble while swallowing
- Persistent cough
- A sense of vomiting
- Black stools or blood in feces
- Blood in vomit
- Sudden weight loss
Diagnosis of Acid Reflux Issue
Heartburn is the actual sign indicating that you have some problem in your digestive tract. However, if the condition is not severe, then physicians may suggest some medications. Sometimes the symptoms may persist for more than 2 to 3 days, and this is when you should find a GI.
The GI will ask for the results of some tests and they are listed below.
- Endoscopy is done to check whether there is an issue within the stomach. A biopsy is done along with endoscopy to check whether there are any abnormalities of infection inside the stomach.
- A barium swallow is suggested to check whether any ulcers have formed in the esophagus. Sometimes, narrowing the esophagus can also be a problem. X-ray is done to test this theory.
Apart from some medications, acid reflux conditions can be treated only by making some changes in the lifestyle of a person. Follow the instructions of your GI and get rid of this issue as early as possible.