The surgical procedure which is used to remove the reproductive part of a woman, the uterus, is called a hysterectomy. Women can opt to go for it for various reasons, and if they want to get a hysterectomy in Manassas, there are many in which this can be performed; robotic, laparoscopic, and open surgery.
Statistics show that it is more common to get this procedure done in women who are 40 to 50 years of age. There are many problems that can be solved with a hysterectomy, let’s have a look at them.
- Uterine fibroids: Sometimes a kind of growth can be seen in the uterus which is non-cancerous but leads to heavy bleeding and pain. This problem can be fixed with a hysterectomy and is actually one of the most common reasons why people opt for it.
- Cancer: Removing the uterus is part of the treatment of four types of cancers: Uterus, ovary, cervix, and endometrial cancer. Sometimes, the doctor can also suggest you get it done in precancerous conditions, for example, if you get tested positive for the BRCA gene, that puts you at risk of getting cancer.
- Pelvic inflammatory disease: It is an infection caused by bacteria that results in severe pain in the pelvic region. If the infection spreads and reaches the uterus and causes damage, the doctor may recommend a hysterectomy.
- Endometriosis: If the tissues that generally line the uterus start to grow on the outside too, it is called endometriosis. This condition results in severe pain and irregular periods. Hysterectomy is used to cure this.
- Adenomyosis: This disease occurs when the lining of the uterus starts to grow into the muscle, it leads to pain and heavy bleeding. Hysterectomy is used to provide relief in this condition.
- Hyperplasia: If a woman’s body produces estrogen in excess, it can lead to a condition called hyperplasia which means the lining of the uterus becomes very thick. It leads to irregular and heavy menstrual cycles. It is important to get it rectified because in some cases it might go on to create uterine cancer. If the doctor feels, they can suggest that you get a hysterectomy.
- Uterine prolapse: Sometimes the uterus shifts from its normal place and slips inside the vagina, this condition is called a uterine prolapse. This condition is responsible for urinary issues and bowel problems in women. Hysterectomy helps in this condition.